Mentor Text - Polar Express

http://collaborationcuties.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-wild-christmas-reindeer-mentor-text.html


I am new to the Mentor Text arena since I teach middle school but ever since I started reading about them (and mentor sentences), I am hooked!  And honestly, my special ed. students respond to picture books very positively!




I am sure that everyone uses this book, but it really will be helpful to me as my class will be focusing on plot elements and sequencing events in December.



I have been searching around through Teachers Pay Teachers for more ideas on how to use this book to develop the skills I listed above.  I think I may have to make some of my own activities so it's more middle school.

I don't have that ready to share but what I do have is lots of reading comprehension games and writing lessons and they are all 28% off at Teachers Pay Teachers during the Cyber Sale!


250 × 120

PLUS, there's a sale at Teacher's Notebook where you can build a bundle.  I am offering both of my quick reference guides there for the bundling which gets you 50% off!


Thanks for stopping by and if you have any tips for me with The Polar Express, please leave me a comment!  :)

4 comments

  1. LOVE this book!!!!! I have used it with my middle school students and am thinking of doing it again this year. In the past I've had my fifth and sixth graders do a comparative essay between the video and the text. We complete a venn diagram, learn how to structure an essay (I have them do four paragraphs for this one: an introduction, one paragraph of comparison, one paragraph of contrast, and a conclusion), work our way through the writing process, and word process the final.

    I look forward to hearing your ideas about using this delightful book with your older students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! i did think about doing the comparison & contrast - I like your idea about just 4 paragraphs though! I am also working on a "5 senses" graphic organizer for the students to record the rich language. We'll see how it goes... :)

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful book and story! I think we are going to try to use it at the 4th grade level! I will let you know what we come up with and maybe you can adapt it to middle school.

    I love when middle school teachers link up! Yay!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy reading all the teacher blogs - no matter what the grade - because I always get good ideas. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)