Whew! I made it to the break!

I just realized that I haven't posted since December 1!  Well it has been a busy, crazy 3 weeks!  

I was busy with my own holiday preparations, my classroom holiday preparations (which can be tricky because my special needs kids get anxious), my Granny's 100th Birthday on the 15th and then to top it all off,  I found out that my formal observation was required to be done before the break!

So what did I do?

Well, I pushed the throttle to maximum with preparations, set it all aside to go to NY (from FL) to celebrate with my Granny and then found help from Lovin' Lit!

The preparations just required me to do a little each day (which backfired the night before the last day of school when I had to make 52 truffles for my sons' teachers).



My flight was delayed on the way back from NY (due to snow and crew delays) and I was stuck in Philly.  It was worth it though - 100 is a big birthday!  Plus, since I had to take a day off due to the delay, I was able to get some wrapping done at home!



Then there's the observation.  Because of my flight delay, it was rescheduled for the Friday before break.  This means I needed to be extra creative and I was feeling anxious.  So I was super happy when I found Lovin' Lit's "The Gift of the Magi" unit.


This was perfect!   We had been working on plot diagram in class with learning the terms, analyzing short video clips and placing events on a plot diagram and the like.  My observation had to be in Marzano's Design Question 3 - deepening knowledge. So it was time to use the plot diagram with a short story.  Enter "The Gift of the Magi".


http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/2013/12/tried-it-tuesday-december-17.html

 So the day before my observation, we watched a video of this story, then read the modified version from this unit (perfect for my middle school students with special needs), discussed the plot events and then even did a little writing prompt about gifts.


http://headoverheelsforteaching.blogspot.com/2013/12/spark-student-motivation-christmas.html

Plus I motivated them by having hung small stocking across my board at the front of the room which their names on them.  My kids were instantly attracted to the stockings and asked what they were for.  I told them that the next day if we stayed focused and completed all we needed to do and they were on the "nice" list, then there would probably be something in those stockings for them.  They were hooked!

The next day, for my observation, after reviewing the scale, learning goals and critical information, we reviewed the plot elements with a PowerPoint, made the plot diagram foldable from this unit, and then I gave them the 5 events (also from this unit) to place on the diagram.  We ended with the use of my student responders.

I only had 4 (yes, four!) students who came to school that day but we went through with the observation anyway and I earned all "applying" and 2 "innovating".  And the students received their stockings with a candy cane made to look like Rudolph and a pass to the roller skating rink.  They were thrilled and I am so relieved and thankful to Lovin' Lit!




Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Freebie Fridays

6 comments:

  1. WOW! 100 years old. That is amazing! I am so glad you were able to celebrate with your Granny. That is so much more important that any observation. I only have to do 4 walk throughs this year. 2 planned and 2 not, but have to go back to formal observations next year. I'm choosing not to think about it just yet! Merry Christmas!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes, 100 is a special birthday and I am so glad I was able to go because it will be a special moment for me forever. I just have one more informal observation to go, but it's informal, so it's a lot less pressure. :) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful celebration for your Granny! I bet she was thrilled to see you! I can't believe you had an observation RIGHT before the break! However, your lesson sounded awesome! Aren't Erin's products so thorough? So easy to implement! The stockings were a motivating visual for great behavior! (so sneaky!) Thanks for sharing and linking up! Happy Holidays!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I do LOVE Erin's products - I bought all the interactive notebooks to boot! :) And the stockings were a bit sneaky but they worked like a charm and I needed a little help on the day before Christmas break!! Thanks so much for the linky - see you in blog-land in the New Year!

      Delete
  3. WOW I'm thrilled you were able to finish your observation AND get good marks. What a relief - I know how that is!! Thanks so much for reviewing my product in your blog post. I'd love to send you anything from my TpT store to thank you! Just drop me an email at ecobb at me dot com.
    :) Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Lovin-Lit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I truly appreciate all your work that goes into your products. You have been a great help to me! Happy New Year!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)