A Peek at My Week 1/27/14

We have two weeks left before our big Embedded Assessment where the students will be writing their own short story.

This week will be a review of plot elements, character traits, and dialogue.  To review these things, we will be reading "Thank you, Ma'am" by Langston Hughes in our SpringBoard books.

First we will work on a mentor sentence.  

"The large woman simply turned around and kicked him right square in his blue-jeaned sitter."


Then I am going to show this short video before we begin reading:  




Then we will read the full story once all the way through and then a second time using "cognitive markers" (the symbols students write next to the text to show their thinking as they read).  SpringBoard only wants us to use 3:  ?, !, * but I found this neat anchor chart on Pinterest:



So then I thought I could/should use more than 3 markers AND I could make bookmarks with the "key" for them!


If you'd like to have a copy, you can get one free Here.

After we read the second time, we will analyze what the characters' appearances, actions, and dialogue tell us about the characters. 

I think I might try to have the students write the two-voice poems I read about at Ideas by Jivey.  This would really help put it all together!

 Finally, we will finish with a plot diagram.



That will definitely review all of our critical information and we'll be ready to do a trial run plan as a class next week! 

Hope your week is wonderful!



Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Freebie Fridays

1 comment

  1. What a fun week you have planned! My students always love when I can incorporate a video into what I'm teaching....Instant attention grabber! (I wonder if that says anything about my teaching.....)

    Have a great week!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)