The Countdown is on!




FCAT Writes (our state's standardized writing test) is in one week!  

Yikes!

My special needs students' attitudes range from apathetic to angry about the test even though I have been doing my best to pump them up.  Which gives me an idea....

Do you remember these characters who want to "Pump YOU up!"? 

My kids will think this is funny - but of course they are boys and middle schoolers!  :)




You can guess that my week will be filled with "pumping up" for the big test!  I'm thinking of making a "Top Ten Reasons Writing is Important" chart with the kids, doing some exercises to help them with brain freeze, and anything else that seems kooky and fun to make the test feel more "do-able".  I'll post those things (if they work) later this week.


And then I had another idea....



I made these little study guides that are the size of a task card with the organizational pattern and other tips for a persuasive essay on one side and an expository essay on the other side.  



I am going to give these away as a freebie this week!  Just click on any of the images above.

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Freebie Fridays













6 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Good luck with the test prep. Hans and Franz are hilarious! I had forgotten about them! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas!! Our writing test is coming up too ( March) for the 5th graders in our building, and I will be sharing with the 5th grade teacher! Enjoyed finding you on the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hans and Franz are so awesome! (That was back in the day when SNL was still funny....) I bet your kiddos will LOVE this video and "Pump YOU up" will become your tag line for testing. Good luck! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 4th graders are taking the same test as your big kids! I'll admit...I'm starting to freak out! I always get nervous this time of year, but more this year for some reason! I'm so jealous that your prompt could be expository or persuasive which are so similar. Ours can be fictional narrative, personal narrative, or expository-so tricky for these 9 year olds not to get them confused! I like the chart idea-going to steal that! Thanks for linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your test prep. We don't have a writing test, but we have reading and math. It is always a challenge to pump kids up for this.

    Have a great week!
    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck to your kids on FCAT Writes! I will be thinking about all of you! I've got to admit...I'm glad my kids don't have the writing portion this year. I'm dreading Science though too.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)