Sparking Motivation ~ Technology


Join the fun by clicking the image above!


Yesterday, I had one of those moments where I just got it all right at the right time.

You know I have THEE group of behaviorally challenged special ed kiddos and so when it all comes together, I feel like I am top of the world!

What made the difference?  Student Responders!  I know these are expensive but I submitted a grant with the company and received my very own set with the help of my principal.  (You can click on the link and submit a grant too!)  

They are called "Beyond Question".

Image from http://www.bqlearning.com.  Click the image to visit the site.  :)


I gave the students the same test I would have given on paper, and they all kept saying how much easier it was to do it with the "clickers".  Plus they were engaged and pleasant with one another!  Yes, PLEASANT!  

Image from http://www.bqlearning.com.  Click the image to visit the site.  :)

In short, to use these, you input the student names and they are assigned a clicker number.  Then you input your questions and answers along with the number of point for each question.  You hand out the clickers, enable the clickers to answer and then you display the questions one at a time.  The students input their answers and you can be sure everyone has answered because their number turns green at the bottom of the screen.  You can move on to the next question by pressing the arrow on your computer screen or by using your own clicker.   You can even get fancy and make your questions on a PowerPoint and then connect it to your system.

When the assessment is done, you can go over the answers using the graph feature without revealing which ones individual students missed.  There is a separate screen that lists the individual students, what questions they missed and their grade.  Such a time saver!

I love it and so do my students - Hallelujah!

Short post but I just wanted to share my planets aligning experience with you.  And I was definitely not paid to do this post nor was I solicited to do this post.  This is simply my experience in my classroom - just like everything else I post.  :)

Thanks for stopping by!  But before you go, you might also want to check this out:





Happy Saturday!

  

6 comments

  1. I'm going to be real honest here and say that I have a set of responders in my Tech cabinet, but I rarely use them. I'm ashamed of me too. They really are a fabulous tool....I just forget about them in the cabinet. There is no excuse for my laziness! I'm glad you were able to get funded through a grant and your kids "responded" well to them. I'm putting this on my list of going back and doing....I promise!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this information. Our community education foundation has a grant program, and I think I will explore these further. Anything to increase engagement, right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you got the grant and have these now. What a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every class at our school has the clickers and I wish I used them more often too. The kids like them because they're cool and they get instant feedback. I know if I used them more, I 'd be faster at programming them too! Thanks for linking up and motivating me to use them more too! :)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids and clickers--That never gets old for the kids. No matter when we use then the kids go bonkers. Love this idea and thanks for sharing a unique way for them to use it.
    Matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have something like this that interact with the SMART board. You are right -- they are completely engaging! Thanks for reminding me of these wonderful teaching tools.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)