Workshop Wednesday ~ Acing the Big Test

Perhaps you have seen my posts about testing ideas before, but I wanted to link up with Jivey for Workshop Wednesday and share what has worked for me.



I began by playing this clip from Rocky:


My students (all of whom have special needs) dread the big test.  My goal was to change their thinking so that they would think of it as something to which they say "Bring it on!" like any other sports champ.

So I made a little story that compares the big test to a sports championship and published it!


In it one will find a little story about how sports champs and students alike prepare for the big test/championship.  Following the story are some reading skills questions about the text including compare/contrast, cause/effect and so on.  There's even a quick reference guide to all these reading skills as well as a mentor sentence and even a foldable!

You can see the whole book here:



Acing the Big Test by Elizabeth Spangler | Make Your Own Book


After I used the book to get us in the right mindset, I too used lots of great task cards mostly from Teaching With A Mountain View (she has a super bundle!).  

I kept using the stairs analogy from Rocky as as we practiced using the task cards to help the students see their purpose.


We recorded our scores on the steps.  


Next I used this cute clip:


And then we went over some test-taking tips from Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching.


It's called "SPARKLE" and each letter stands for strategy.  We even made little bookmarks with the strategies to take home.  There are some other great goodies in the pack too!

Finally, we all signed the pledge from this pack:


Now we are in the testing window and since most of our tests are now on the computer, our testing schedule is 4.weeks.long.

So....now I have been scouring through all the best ideas for things to do while we are in test mode.  In middle school that means we have a modified schedule where we have very few regular classes.  In fact the last 2 days, I have had my homeroom for 5 hours and am supposed to teach "life skills".  But that's a post for a different day.  :)

Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

  1. These are such awesome ideas!! I will be using a few of these next week! Thanks for linking up! :)
    jivey

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)