Sparking Motivation with Music


I am linking up with Joanne at Head Over Heels for Teaching for


We all know that music is motivating, but I found something that worked so well for me this week that I just had to share.

I am sure many of you are working with your students to help them learn to write text-based short answers.  A lot of people call this the "ACE" strategy (Answer, Cite, Explain).

We were working on this through a close reading workshop in our Springboard curriculum on Argumentation when I found this:



It was perfect!  

And as luck would have it, I had an unexpected (surprise!) observation while I was using this!  And not just an ordinary observation - our district ELA coach was part of it!  Yikes!

I started class with my planner routine, followed by a discussion of the learning target in relation to the scale, then we watched this video, made an ACE foldable from Lovin' Lit's Interactive Writing Notebook, and finally used our text to create a sample ACE response as a class.



Thankfully, with this video, the kids were super motivated and into the lesson.  I received much praise and great feedback.  Whew!  The district coach even asked me to co-teach a model lesson with her next week so I guess she was impressed!

Now I just have to find something motivating for that...  :)

Thanks for stopping by!



2 comments

  1. Yay! Great lesson and resource, Lisa! Thank for sharing!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I love this video! We use RACES, and this fits in perfectly! Thank you!
    If you'd like to link a blog-post, I'm co-hosting a Secondary Smorgasbord hop on traditions. I can add you to our Facebook group if you'd like. Just say the word :)
    Darlene
    ELABuffet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)