March Book Madness!

Are your students as obsessed as mine with March Madness?


Well, since my principal asked us to try to inspire our students to read more, I thought why not combine their love of the sport with books? 



I began by choosing the "Sweet Sixteen" book titles.

Then, in class, I had a book pass with the "Sweet Sixteen" books.  Afterwards, I  conducted a "draft" and everyone was assigned a book from the display to read.

Now, a month later, students turned in summaries and they will be read aloud on Friday.

Next, students will write one argumentative body paragraph to tell why their book is better than the one they are up against.  

Finally, we will vote and move the books into their new brackets until we have a BOOK CHAMP!  :)

I have this all written up & you can get an editable copy by clicking {here}:







Thanks for stopping by! 


6 comments

  1. Hello,
    I came over from Mrs. Stanford's linky-party. This is an amazing idea! I hope you have a wonderful sale today on TPT!
    Sincerely,
    Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments! I am hoping for a good sale day too! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi - I'm stopping by from Teaching Blog Addict's Freebie Friday. I'll bet your middle schoolers love the basketball connection. It makes a terrific display, too!
    Have a great weekend!
    Linda
    Primary Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basketball theme definitely got their attention! :)

      -Lisa

      Delete
  3. This would be perfect for spicing up my reading block. I just need to change the dates a bit and I have a plan for March.
    Thank you,
    Mary
    Artistry of Education

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)