Sparking Motivation for Reading



I teach 8th grade ELA and at our school, Language Arts classes are required to read at least one book per quarter and complete a project.  

Getting kids to read is like trying to walk uphill, in 10 feet of snow, barefoot.

I tried to make it fun by creating a whole "Book Madness" theme based on the concept of the Basketball "March Madness".



This has been more successful than anything else I have tried, but there were still quite a few students who didn't read their book. 
(You can read more about  how I conducted "Book Madness" by clicking {here}.) 

So now we are down to the last week of the third quarter and I think I am going to ask the students to anonymously write down one thing that would motivate them to read.  Then I will see if I can use that information to create a theme/project that gets EVERYONE reading during the 4th quarter!

Stay tuned - I'll share the responses I get next Saturday!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

  1. LOVE your board! I wish I had space to make a Book Madness board-so motivating for students to be a part of this and read their books! I laughed at your analogy of the snow walking-I bet middle schoolers need lots of motivation to read! They're lucky to have you Lisa! Thanks for linking up and sharing!
    ~Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)