Five For Friday ~ Top 5 Things to do with The Giver by Lois Lowry



It's been forever since I've linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching, so I am past due!

My 8th grade ELA class and I  have been reading The Giver Lois Lowry so this week I thought I would share the 5 best things we have done with the book thus far.


We have been thoroughly enjoying using this flipbook by Study All Knight:




It helps me keep everything organized and is a perfect companion to the book!



Have you seen the new Taco Bell commercial?





It has some of the same themes as The Giver and it's definitely attention-getting!  Plus some students had seen it on TV so it's a great way to connect to the "real world".  


I used this to highlight the concept of conformity before we read a poem with the same theme which is up next.




Since our new state test is just around the corner, I  needed to review figurative language with my students.  So I found a great poem to go with the book.  It's called "The Unknown Citizen" by W.H. Auden.  Since it's copyrighted, I don't think I can display it here but I can tell you that it is an obituary that chronicles a man's life who is only known by his number.  




It tells how he followed every rule and held all the right opinions from the perspective of some government agent who apparently had every agency contribute to this obituary.  Then once the reader arrives at the end, you realize the cost of such conformity.  This naturally sparks a great conversation about conformity in our world.




We read the above poem and analyzed it for figurative language.  We looked for metaphors, similes, hyberboles, and personification.

The we looked for these same kinds of figurative language in the book and recorded them as well as the ones from the poem here:




This flipbook has all the definitions, space for class examples, student examples and examples from books. It's a great review piece and a way to collect information for our study.




(Can you tell I have a thing for flipbooks recently?)
:)






Lastly, we have decided that from our perspective, one of the conflicts of the book is the lack of choices.  So the students were asked to make motivating posters about choice using the ideas below as a springboard.  I encouraged them to use figurative language if they could for bonus points, but that was probably a stretch.  :)

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

  1. Whoa. I had not seen that Taco Bell ad. Powerful. It'll grab your students. And it has ties to many current books/movies. See you around. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Giver! What great ideas to expand your reading!
    Erin
    veryperryclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)