How I help my students pay attention ~ Show and Tell







This month I want to share one of my best teaching tricks!  It's a way to help my students pay attention when we are reading something out loud in class.  It's called Stop-Challenge.

I read the text out loud and then when I come to a key word, I say Stop.  Challenge.  The challenge is for the student to write the next word.  The only way the student can do this is if they are paying attention!

That's it!  Pretty simple but very effective!  And it works with all kinds of students from special needs to gifted.  For high-level students, you can let the students take turns reading and calling out the stop-challenge.  They enjoy taking on the responsibility!


Here's a video so you can see how Stop-challenge works!




And here's a FREE template you can use to try Stop-Challenge in your own class.

  
Thanks for stopping by!
Be sure to check out some others' show and tell ideas by visiting Stephanie from Forever in 5th grade!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a great and simple way to keep kids actively listening! I loved the video but I couldn't download the freebie! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by - I don't know what wet wrong with the freebie link but it seems to be working now! :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea. The students will also need to focus on spelling the word correctly. Will try it tomorrow when we get back to school. Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your teaching videos! Stop-Challenge is a simple yet powerful technique. Love how I can just pop it in! Thanks for sharing.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I like how you have a recording sheet for it too. This could really come in handy with Social Studies which is where we do most of the reading together, and I am always walking around and pointing to the page to get kids back to following along. Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)