The Best Teaching Advice I Ever Received!




This month's Secondary Smorgasbord is all about sharing the best advice we've ever received.

Mine is from my Dad.  He taught Jr. High English for about 15 years and then was an Assistant Principal at another Jr. High for several more.  He was my "go-to" resource for all things teaching because he had "been there, done that".  Plus he always knew just the right thing to do.  And this pearl of wisdom was no exception:




I know this doesn't sound profound but it was just the sort of thing I needed to hear when I felt overwhelmed and behind.  My Dad always said as long as everything was ready for me to teach the next day, then I would be fine because the primary objective - the students' learning - is all set to go.  Then during the day there will be time to chip away at that "To-do" list and it will get done even if it is little by little.  This has worked for me going on 22 years so far!  It's a "keep it simple" approach and I think it's one that we need more than ever these days.