Show and Tell ~ ELA Test Prep!


Welcome to Show and Tell Tuesday with Forever in 5th Grade!

At my school, the third quarter is winding down and after Spring Break, it will be "testing season".

So this post is all about my approach to test prep!



First, I started with reviewing the basic reading skills of:
compare/contrast
cause/effect
author's purpose
main idea
inference
text features
by using my new Reading Skills Pixanotes!









Next, students matched up the pictures that matched the definitions.


I had students write questions under the flaps that can be answered with the text to the right.  This allows for a more full Cornell notes type experience.  It also gives the students some practice with the definitions as they must ponder them as they decide where the pictures belong.


Now students were ready to practice with the definitions.  One fun way to do this is with these dandy dominoes that match the Pixanotes!



I like to have students work on this with a partner so they can discuss why certain pictures represent certain words.  Then once students have had a chance to work with the words, I have them mix up the dominoes and compete against other groups for the fastest time!


After my students have a frame of reference with the Pixanotes, then I look for creative ways to practice the skills.  This year, I am trying something new by using the picture book Miss Rumphius and a choice board/menu.  


You can find out more about this (and get a freebie!) by clicking {here}.




Next, I will read them this e-book and go through the activities:



The idea behind the e-book is to help students understand that our big state test is like a championship.  Do athletes complain when they have to go to the championship?  No, of course not!  They're excited to show that they are the best!  So it should be the same with our state test.  It's a chance for students to proudly show what they know!

You can get this e-book for free when you sign up for my periodic newsletter!


Lastly, it will be important for us to review the steps for successful test-taking.  I will be using this flipbook that I made:


This makes the steps that seem so abstract much more concrete for our students with learning challenges.  

I hope this gives you some ideas for how you might change up your test prep this year!  In the meantime, be sure to visit Forever in 5th Grade for some more Show and Tell!

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments

  1. I'm going to share these test prep ideas with my favorite fifth grade teacher. Good ideas. We are all about test prep now, aren't we :( See you around. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be gearing up to take the MSTEP right after spring break too. You have some great ideas (and freebies!) for getting your kids ready! Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)