Springing into Learning with a Great Picture Book!


My fun Spring idea begins with a picture book.  In Middle School you ask?  Yes, most definitely!

My Middle School students still love picture books.  Not only do  the students enjoy being read to but picture books make more complex topics and concepts easier to digest.

Since we have to prepare for our state reading test, I thought of a kinder, gentler way to accomplish this with this picture book:







I will probably show the students this video of the book first:



After we have watched the video, then we will read and examine the book for main idea, cause and effect, and compare and contrast - to start!    
I am planning to have my students practice their learning with these three reading skills with a choice board / menu:


This choice board is great for differentiation, too!  I can assign students smaller or larger assignments as well as ensure that students can complete assignments that suit them best.

I can see myself adding more choice boards with the same book to address other reading skills and to include mentor sentences.

Then, as part of our study, we simply must plant lupine seeds!  This is the quintessential spring activity, right?  My students will love it!

If you'd like free copies of the two resources above (with links to the online games), please click {here}.

If you'd like to view the complete unit with all the templates for the interactive notebook foldables and drawing activities, please click {here}.

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I love this book and I love choice boards. What a great combination of the two!

    Heidi Raki
    www.rakisradresources.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you are using picture books in middle school! There is so much to learn from a good picture book and I know the kids love it too. I think the choice board is perfect- you could definitely do this with so many other books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, and I love choice menus! Thank you for sharing, and I am your newest follower. I found your blog via the blog hop (which I love!). I can't wait to read your future posts!

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to hear from you and will reply via e-mail. :)