How I Make Video Lessons In 5 Easy Steps


In previous posts, I shared how powerful video was for engaging my students in my 6th grade ELA classroom and the educational benefits of using video.

As you may know, I decided to make my own videos to maximize the learning in my classroom.  
So how do I do it?  
Here are my 5 easy steps:


1.  I decide on my objectives and write a script.

  • My objectives generally come from my standards, but many times my video theme is something I take into consideration at this point - especially as I write the script.  If I want to teach essay writing in connection with the book Walk Two Moons, my images might be of places that the main character visited in the book, for example.
2.  I record my script with a green screen, soft box lights, and a microphone.  

  •  I record my videos using my iPhone.
  • The green screen really is an important piece as I can place *any* image behind me and really create some very relevant videos for the students.  
  • The lights I use came with the green screen with bulbs!  The bulbs are "daylight bulbs - 5500K" and make all the difference with looking good.
  • Speaking of looking good - remember to record on a good hair and makeup day!  :)
  • I have a lapel microphone that cost me about $13 on Amazon.  You can try to record with just the iPhone microphone and see how it sounds in the room you are using.


3.  I run my green screen recordings through the Green Screen App by Do Ink ($2.99)

  • Next, I take what I recorded with the green screen and run it through this app to put in whatever image I choose behind me! Later, I add what I make in this app to iMovie when I am ready to edit.
  • Note on images:  I only use images that I have made myself or are in the public domain.  A Google search for images will pull up many copyrighted images and could put you in jeopardy of being in violation of the law.  I use Pixabay.com for public domain images.

3.  Determine the objectives and write a script.

  • My objectives generally come from my standards, but many times my video theme is something I take into consideration at this point - especially as I write the script.  If I want to teach essay writing in connection with the book Walk Two Moons, my images might be of places that the main character visited in the book, for example.

4.  Edit all clips in iMovie on my iPhone

  • This is arguably the hardest part.  This takes some time to learn because I have to insert clips of what I recorded, cut out pauses or flubs, add music, titles, captions and maybe even special effects!

5.  Save and upload!  
  • When I'm finished, I first download the movie to my iPhone's video album.
  • Then, I hard wire my phone to my computer so I can put the finished product on a jump drive to take to school. I find that this is the quickest way to get the video from the iPhone.

So that's how I do it!  It's easy once you get going, but if that seems like more than you're ready to tackle, then maybe you'd like to see one of my videos as an example and maybe even try it with your classes.

Right now, I am focused on preparing to take my "rookie" 6th graders through the steps in writing text-based essays, and I am happy to share that first stage of the process with you below:



Thanks for stopping by!  Be sure to stop by Forever in Fifth Grade for some more great Show and Tell!