Using Mentor Texts for Reading and Writing



Get some new ideas from your #2ndaryELA friends for using mentor texts for reading and writing. #teaching


Mentor texts and sentences aren't just for elementary students!  They are wonderful for middle and high school too!  How so?  Read on to see how your #2ndaryELA friends use them:


Q1: What do you use mentor texts or sentences to teach?
A1: I use them to teach basic grammar and punctuation - all the things FL refers to as "conventions". Plus they serve as nice models for various standards such as point of view. (Giant and the Beanstalk)
Replying to 
We have “conventions” as well in TN.
Replying to 
I use mentor text to teach narrative writing.
Replying to 
What do you focus in on? Do you ask them to emulate style or do you focus on things like adjectives or?
Replying to 
Both - focus on adjectives- parallel structure and anything else I find.
Q2: How do you find mentor texts & sentences to use in your classroom?
A2: Sometimes I use picture books or I use things that I write myself that are timely - meaning we read texts about St. Patrick near St. Patrick's Day.
A2: I taught Pre-K for years - then 3rd - I am big believer in picture books. I use them to help with narrative and sentence structure.
Replying to 
I LOVE using Picture books with my middle schoolers! They really make tough concepts easier to understand!
Replying to 
A lot of people think I am crazy. They say I only use picture books because of my background.
Replying to 
No, you are smart! My Ss love the picture books too. For example, "The Important Book" always helps them "get" main idea. :)
Replying to 
Thanks! I have using picture books for years. It seems now that it is becoming more acceptable, at least on social media, not really in my school.
Q3: How do your incorporate mentor texts & sentences in your daily classroom routine?
A3: I use mentor sentences as bell work. We read the passage on Monday and have a mini-lesson on the skills of the week. Then we answer short questions about a sentence from the passage Tu-Th. Fri is an assessment of the week's skills. I can use one passage for entire month - one sentence a week!
A3: We have been prepping for the upcoming test so we have been analyzing our last benchmark. Normally, Bell work is the time I incorporate mentor text/sentences
Q4: How do you connect what students learn from the mentor texts and sentences to new learning?
A4: I connect it to our writing as in "Remember to use commas after transitions like we learned when we read about St. Patrick."
A4: I also try to use mentor texts as background knowledge for other topics.
Replying to 
I love and for building background knowledge.
Q5: Share your favorite mentor text or sentences activities.
A5: I love using and to build background knowledge and picture books for figurative language- descriptive words- imagery- I could go on and on 💙
I hope you found a few new ideas for using mentor sentences and/or texts in your classroom for reading or writing skills!

Join us every Tuesday night at 8pm Eastern for more great #2ndaryELA Twitter chats!

And join us on Facebook where we keep the conversation going all week long!