Differentiation for Struggling AND Gifted Students



Need some ideas for differentiation in your middle or high school language arts class?  Then you'll love the ideas shared by the #2ndaryELA community here!  #strategies #lessonplans



Q1: How do you define differentiation?
A1: In essence, everyone getting what they need - levels of scaffolding - or in terms of remediation and enrichment after a n assessment.
A1: Differentiation is adjusting the rigger of material to help the child be successful, whether that is upping or lowering expectations.
Replying to 
Maybe instead of lowering expectations, you just lower the difficulty?
Replying to 
I think that is what I meant, just trying to say it in few words.
A1. I think I would define differentiation as: as needed modified educational support for learners to achieve.
Q2: How do you make sure all students “get it”?
A2: We have standards-based quizzes after the lesson has been taught and Ss have had time to process/practice.
A2: Using tools like and to check in with students, projects, summative tests.
Replying to   and 
Definitely a fan a and for check-ins!
A2: I use my formative assessments as sounding boards to see where I need to recover the material, tag for additional supports, or restructure for deeper understanding.
Replying to   and 
I enjoyed but then my school blocked youtube for ss and it won't load.
Q3: What do you do when some students “get it” and others do not?
A3: I try to find room for station work every now and again when I can pull some for extra help and the others are working in deepening or a new activity. I also have topics that those who don't get it can work on during study hall.
A3: I'm lucky to have an Academic Focus period and Freshmen Academy block that I can tag students during. This allows me to recover material in a smaller group, for more one on one time.
A3: After an assessment, Ss who earned 80% or better are given enrichment activities and those below 80% get remediation activities. I like to use menus.
Q4: How do you ensure that being gifted doesn’t just mean extra work?
A4: During our RTI time while I am working with the lower ss, my gifted ss are working on an online book study and the other students have a tic-tac-toe sheet to deepen their 6th grade skills.
A4: While some students work on remediation, the gifted Ss are generally working on enrichment - so it's not extra.
Q4: I LOVE THIS QUESTION. I have been working toward my GT Certification. Extension activities are a plus! I would substitute word lists instead of more words. I've used a more challenging book to cover similar concepts. Never MORE, just different rigor.
Q5: Where do you find ideas for both enrichment and reteaching?
I am in love with Article of the Week. I have my advanced students reading more complex articles, and they move quicker than others with their responses, so they end up with more responses, but I have a class for adv. learners.
A5: I turn to because he is my husband and has a wealth of knowledge! Also,


Remember that we keep the conversation going 24/7 in our Facebook Group and YOU are invited to join!  

I hope you found some new ideas that will help you differentiate for both struggling students and those that are gifted in your classroom!  


Thanks for stopping by!