Middle School Reading Test Prep




Take one week, these ideas, and you can easily review SEVEN middle school reading standards for your state test!






It's that time of year again!  
Time to review for the Big State Test in Reading.

So I polled my students to see what they thought were the best kinds of review.  It probably comes as no surprise to you that my middle school students said "competition"!

So I put on my thinking cap to figure out what I could do to make a fun and productive review.  Then I had it - The Reading Ruckus!

It worked like this:

1.  I intentionally grouped students into teams of 4.

2.  They chose a team name.

3.  Each day we had a short mini-lesson on a few standards.  I showed a PowerPoint with definitions and examples and students recorded the information in a mini-book.


Help your middle school students review SEVEN reading anchor standards before the big state test!  #testprep #teaching


4.  Then students each had to answer practice questions on the mini-lesson in their groups.


5.  I drew a number.  The student in each group who had that number on his/her desk answered for the group by writing their answer on a white board.  The groups with the right answers earned a point.  I kept a tally of each team's points front and center!


Find out how to create friendly competition in your middle school class to review SEVEN reading standards!  #testprep #teaching


6.  After all the standards were reviewed, the group with the most points wins!  What did they win?  Well, my students wanted a popcorn snack and I was happy to oblige!

7.  For individual accountability, there were exit tickets.  Those who scored proficiently earned their team bonus points.

We only had a week to do this, so it was "Go time!"  The kids loved competing against each other and I think this made enough of an impression on them to commit the skills to memory just before the big test!

If you'd like to give this a try, I have a PowerPoint, mini-book, passages and questions prepared for SEVEN reading anchor standards for fiction & nonfiction.  All the prep work is done and everything is ready to go!

You can get just the PowerPoint and Mini-book here:

Here are some easy ways to review your middle school reading standards before the BIG TEST! #tips #ideas #testprep


Or you can get just the passages with questions here:


Just need some quick passages to use for reading test prep?  Try these!  #middleschool #readingstandards



Or if you want all of these items (The PowerPoint, mini-book, passages and questions), get the printable bundle here:

Use these materials and my plan for a focused review with your middle school students for your state's reading test!  #strategies # ideas #testprep

Now there's a digital version too!


Thanks for stopping by!

Pin This Post for Later:

Don’t spend hours searching for that great idea you found.  Just pin this to your favorite classroom Pinterest board so you can quickly and easily come back when you are ready.  You’ll be glad you did!

Review SEVEN reading anchor standards with your middle school students using a friendly competition!