Teaching Character Development in Middle School


Find out how I teach character and idea development in middle school! #ideas #lessonplans


At our school, the goal is to routinely discuss the standards to be taught with one's PLC.  So recently we took a look at how to teach character development based on R.CCR.3:  Analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.

Of course, that means there are two parts of this standard to consider:  fiction and nonfiction.

The fiction side of the standard focuses on plot and character development whereas the nonfiction side focuses on idea development.

Introducing the Entire Unit

I first like to start with an overview using a picture book.  For this standard, I have chosen "My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother".  I found a great reading of this on YouTube by Melissa Gilbert. This book is perfect for showing character development.  We discuss this book afterwards and focus on the concept of development.  

Then, it's time to dig into the vocabulary.  I use the test item specifications for my state and the standard itself to derive my list of vocabulary.

I like to play some games after we go over the words and have posted all the cards to the word wall.  I make dominoes and have partners work together just to complete the game at first.  Then I hold competitions to see which partners can do it in the shortest time.  


Playing dominoes is one way for my middle school students to learn the vocabulary of character & idea development.  #teaching #ideas




The Fiction Part of the Lesson


Next, it's time for the meat of the unit and I will start with the JUST the fiction portion of the standard (I'll teach the nonfiction part later.)  First we'll read "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl.  

Then I'll use a PowerPoint and notes to show students a 3-step process for determining how a character develops in story which in turn affects how the plot develops.  The notes I use are a blend of traditional two-column notes and visual/interactive notes.  I think of it as the left brain advantage of structure combined with the right brain benefit of visuals to get the best of both worlds!  I call these notes Pixanotes.


Pixanotes help my middle school students learn a process for determining character and idea development.  #teaching #lessonplans


The notes help students see how to determine character development in a very structured way.  Plus since I make these notes in 4 versions with the same content but varying degrees of scaffolding, I have differentiated the content so everyone can "get" it.

After the notes, it's time to practice with these steps.  I have some task cards that ask specific questions about character development with "Lamb to the Slaughter".  I 'll probably play "Scatter" with the task cards and hang them all around the room and then have students visit all the task cards and record their answers.  Then we'll go over the answers.



The Fiction Assessment & Follow-up

After the practice, there will be a quiz based on another story "The Owl and the Grasshopper" which is a fable.  (Our state loves to use obscure fables on the state tests so I try to introduce them throughout the year.)

Students who earn an 80% or better, will be given an "Enrichment Menu" where they will choose between creating a character "tie" or writing a new version of the story from the quiz.

Students who earned less than an 80% will be given an "Enhancement Menu" for re-teaching that includes the choice of watching a video review and then creating a storyboard for their own video, or there's an option for students to use their notes to explain each question on the quiz. 


What happens when some middle school students "get" character & idea development and some don't?  #teaching #projectbasedlearning


In the end, each student will have a menu as follow-up from the quiz and each student will create a product.  So now I will have differentiated products too!  


Next up, Nonfiction!  Click here to read all about how I teach Idea development!



If this sounds like a lot of work, you'd be right - except that it was only a lot of work for me since all the work is done and you can get all of these things by clicking here!



Everything you need to teach character development with built-in differention so you can teach, remediate and enrich your middle school students!  Just print, makes copies and teach!  #lessons #activities

  


I hope this helps you teach character development in your Middle School ELA class!


NOW you can get DIGITAL versions of the notes with embedded videos of the PowerPoints!



Pin this post for later!

Use these activities with your middle school students to trace how a character changes in a fiction text!






Thanks for stopping by!

By entering your name and email, you agree to receive email newsletters and promotions from Mrs. Spangler in the Middle. All emails include an unsubscribe link, and you can opt-out at any time. See my privacy policy for details on how your data is used and safeguarded.