Standardized Test Prep Tips


Test Prep motivation, strategies and more to help middle and high school students get ready for their standardized tests! #teaching #ideas

It's that time of year again - the time when all good teachers begin to think about what still needs to be done in order to help their students be as prepared as possible for the big state tests.

The #2ndaryELA nation came together on Twitter to discuss this topic and folks shared their best tips for motivation, preparation and more!  Scroll down for all things test prep!



Q1: How do you help your students prepare for standardized tests?
A1: I have not had to "prepare" students for years. I'm fortunate, I know. When I did, I would ask them to set goals. This helped them focus and not get overwhelmed.
Replying to 
A1: I’m not a fan of standardized tests HOWEVER they do keep me accountable. To prepare, we do a 2 week blitz to go over strategies and examples - but throughout the year, we do an article of the week every week with an example MC ? and a constructed response ?
A1: I teach academic vocabulary words like claim, relevant evidence, justify, etc. This helps students understand what each question is asking them.
A1: We use sites like that mimic what they see on standardized tests. Familiar features help them to be more confident.
A1: First, I try to use best practices in my teaching, and I set high expectations for my students. We read and write daily in my classes. I also give students routine test prep but avoid “teaching to the test.”
A1: All year long we're preparing... baby steps. Last year, we started inviting tier 2 students to an after school remediation club (fun learning) to hopefully push them over the edge into passing. It worked really well!
A1: the only real standardized prep I do is addressing the format of it. We have some built in (writescore tests) the meet this criteria, but American Lit has narratives that Ss are not familiar with usually. I tell them it has real-world benefits in noticing details
Q2: Share your best test prep resources, activities and ideas.
Replying to 
A2: Resources and activities are too big to attach, but contact me via insta for pics! As for ideas, repetition, repetition, repetition!
A2: I often use resources from College Board for SAT Prep and the AP Lit exam.
Replying to 
We played hand-on games (like matching definitions with words), Quizlet live, read fun figurative language rich texts
Q3: Do you continue with normal lessons during standardized testing? Why/Why not?
A3: We cannot, as our site uses block scheduling for testing.
A3: I do not because I tell my Ss that this is the "final workout" before the "big game" so we stay focused. I do refer back to previous lessons though!
Replying to 
A3: Absolutely! We do the prep, then it’s game time, but that doesn’t mean learning stops! During testing is a great time for Independent novels.
Q4: What do you to keep students on task during testing sessions?
A4: My Ss have been doing guided meditation daily (5 min. sessions) and I'm going to lead each testing day with that, and other mindfulness activities during breaks.
Replying to 
I love the idea of arts and crafts. I could make that happen for those testing days.
A4: We expect students to plan their essays on scrap paper and collect the planning for a grade.
A4: all of this! Plus, sticky note tic-tac-toe for students done with their tests

Q5: Describe any special activities that you reserve for standardized testing time.
A5: I reserve most of my competitions for test prep and most of my arts and crafts for during testing days.
Replying to 
What kinds of competitions do you have?
I do things where groups compete against each other as we review the standards. I've been known to make leader boards, race tracks and the like to get Ss into it!


Replying to 
These ideas are great. My students love friendly competition and we often play Trashketball to review for tests
A5: On the days that students are taking their standardized tests, certain movies or videos are reserved for after testing sessions. ELA teacher may save the video/movie version of the books they’re studying for this period of time.
A5: At the end of standardized testing (which lasts two weeks in Am Lit and 3 hours in AP Lit) we usually have a food celebration! Breakfast for morning classes and pizza for afternoon classes.
A5: Gum, food and drinks are not normally allowed, so this is the special treat!

Be sure to join the #2ndaryELA nation every Tuesday at 8pm on Twitter. We talk about all kinds of important ELA topics with the goal of helping teachers connect and find new ways to teach and reach their students. 

 PLUS - we keep the conversation going 24/7 at our Facebook group and we'd love for you to join our community of 20,000 + teachers all focused on ELA! 

 Thanks for stopping by!