Teaching Poetry in Middle School




Find out how I teach middle school students to interpret words and phrases using poetry.


Do you get moans and groans when you talk about teaching poetry to your middle school students?  I do and it's generally because they say that they don't "get" it.  

That's when I say "What if I could teach you a poetry interpretation secret?"  Of course, they all want to know the secret so I tell them that I have a simple 4-step process to help them "get" all poetry!  

Bonus - it's all based on standard R.CCR.4:  Interpret Words and Phrases!

Introducing the Poetry Unit


I first like to start with an overview using a picture book.  For this standard, I have chosen "Owl Moon".  This book is rich with word choice and connotation which makes the imagery amazing.  We discuss this book as if we are book reviewers and I gently introduce them to my process.

Then, it's time to dig into the vocabulary.  I use the test item specifications for my state and the standard itself to derive my list of vocabulary.

Teach poetry vocabulary so your middle school students can interpret poems more easily.



I like to play some games after we go over the words and have posted all the cards to the word wall.  I make dominoes and have partners work together just to complete the game at first.  Then I hold competitions to see which partners can do it in the shortest time.  


The 4-step Lesson for Interpreting Words & Phrases


Next, it's time for the meat of the unit and I use a PowerPoint and notes.  The notes I use are a blend of traditional two-column notes and visual/interactive notes.  I think of it as the left brain advantage of structure combined with the right brain benefit of visuals to get the best of both worlds!  I call these notes Pixanotes.

Teach your middle school students a 4 step process for interpreting words and phrases in poetry with these scaffolded notes!



These notes help students see interpreting words and phrases as a process and how the ideas of denotation, connotation, and tone are connected.  Plus since I make these notes in 4 versions with varying degrees of scaffolding, I have differentiated the content so everyone can "get" it.

As we go through the notes with a PowerPoint, we will use the poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley for the examples for each of the steps.  This is the "I do" portion of the lesson as I walk them through using the process one time together as a class.

After the notes, it's time to practice with these ideas.  I like to give students a choice for increased engagement and will use a "Processing Menu".  This menu will ask students to apply what they have learned with a new poem "O Captain! My Captain!" by Walt Whitman.  Students will choose between creating a one-pager on the poem or changing the word choice in the poem to change the tone.  Since the menu has two choices, it allows for some differentiation of process! This is the "we do" portion of the lesson as I do allow students to work with partners if they choose.

Use a processing menu to help your middle school students practice the steps to interpreting words and phrases in poetry!






The Assessment & Follow-up


After the practice, there will be a quiz based on another poem "I Hear America Singing" by Walt Whitman.

Students who earn an 80% or better, will be given an "Enrichment Menu" where they will choose between writing their own poem or studying a new poem of their choice.  

Students who earned less than an 80% will be given an "Enhancement Menu" for re-teaching that includes the choice of watching a video review and then creating their own video, PowerPoint, or poster explaining how to interpret words and phrases or there's an option of using their notes to explain each question on the quiz.  

What do you do with your middle school students after a poetry quiz?  Re-Teach and Enrich - using Menus! #differentiation #teaching



In the end, each student will have a menu as follow-up from the quiz and each student will create a product.  So now I will have differentiated products too!  

This will take me at least two weeks to complete, but will be a great opportunity to look closely at poetry and focus in on the standard with various activities.

Ready to try this unit?  I have everything all prepped and ready to go!  The full unit even comes with editable lesson plans and a day-by-day script - including discussion questions!






Thanks for stopping by!

Pin This Post for Later:

Don’t spend hours searching for that great idea you found.  Just pin this to your favorite classroom Pinterest board so you can quickly and easily come back when you are ready.  You’ll be glad you did!



Find out how I teach middle school students to interpret words and phrases using poetry. #teachingpoetry