3 Easy Ways to Incorporate Narrative Writing Into the Middle School Classroom

 

Keep the joy of creativity from narrative writing alive in your middle school classroom with these 3 easy ideas!



I love the creativity of writing a narrative.  Too often, this seems to fall by the wayside, taking backseat to more formal options.  But there are ways to keep the creativity alive and here are my top 3 ways to do just that:


1.  Combine the fun of the season with learning!


Every year, I incorporate narrative writing into my classroom near Halloween time.  Students create spooky stories about an old "haunted" house with a great deal of structure provided by me.  I even play a spooky soundtrack!  Even my most reluctant writers enjoy this and soon my students see that writing can be a fun, creative time.


Use this structured narrative project to help your middle school students enjoy the season and learn at the same time!



2.  Early Finishers


While my "go-to" is to read independently when students find themselves with some extra time, using that same time for narrative writing would be another great alternative!  I have a little station set up in my room with blank plot diagrams and a can of "story starters".  (Sometimes I also include fun paper and checklists.  I try to keep it a cool place to visit!) Students who would prefer to write can visit this station when they find themselves with extra time in class.  You can get a free copy of my plot diagram and story starters in my resource library


Set up a station with story starters and blank plot diagrams to encourage early finishers to write narratives in your middle school classroom!




3. Fiction Follow-Ups


After reading a fiction story like "Eleven" like Sandra Cisneros, I find that asking students to tell (through writing) their own stories that were similar to the main character's struggles can not only be a great relationship builder but it also helps students make a deeper connection to the story.  This helps when you begin to analyze the story for various things such as character development because now the students feel invested.


Just a few quick things I do to incorporate narrative writing throughout the year!


Pin This Post for Later:

Don’t spend hours searching for that great idea you found.  Just pin this to your favorite classroom Pinterest board so you can quickly and easily come back when you are ready.  You’ll be glad you did!

Narrative writing doesn't have to be a one time thing!  Check out these ideas for some inspiration!














Thanks for stopping by!