Top 5 Creative Activities for Middle School

 

It's always a good idea to have ready-to-go activities for the end of the year to keep middle school students engaged!


This year at my school, teachers will be keeping their testing groups while other groups are taking state tests.  So yes, while the 7th graders are taking the State Civics Exam, I'll be keeping my 6th graders for 160 minutes.  TWO AND A HALF HOURS!


Clearly, I am going to have to be creative!  I need things that will keep my students involved and focused yet not necessarily academic because that's just too long.  So...


The Top 5 Creative Activities for Middle School


1.  Get Crafty

I went to Hobby Lobby to find something my students could make for themselves or someone special in their family.  What I found was some film that they could trace designs on, color, then I could take home and bake so they would shrink! Then I bought some of those chains for keychains and voila!  A fun project that doubles as a lovely keychain gift!

2.  Origami

While I was shopping, I also came across origami sets.  This is also a super fun idea because it requires time and concentration to fold the paper and create something fun and new.  I'll do my best to show them one or two designs like my emoji bookmark but I'm sure they can find just about anything to make on YouTube.


3.  Color By Number 

My students still like to color.  Add in a reading passage and you have a great activity where students are learning and having fun at the same time!

This is one that I'll be using and you can get it for free!



4.  Quiet games 

Have you ever heard of silent speedball?  It's a game played with students passing/throwing the ball to others in the room but if a person makes noise, they are out.  A person can also be out if they drop the ball or if they make a bad pass.  The object is to be the last one standing.  I'm sure some small candy prizes will keep them in the game on this one!


5.  Contest

My last idea is to hold a contest.  I'm thinking of a coloring contest but it could be an origami contest or a poetry contest or really just about anything!  

When I was at the store, I found a neat book with all kinds of intricate coloring designs.  I think these are the kind that are supposed to relax a person so that would be perfect for my crew!  I can tear the pages out so everyone can get one.  

I'll let everyone vote for their favorite design and give the winner a small treat.


So, there are my 5 top creative activities for middle school.  I'm hopeful that this will be enough to keep us busy and that we'll all make it through this testing season unscathed!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!


Pin this post for later:

Don't spend hours searching for this great idea that you just found!  Pin it to your favorite classroom Pinterest board so that you can easily come back to it when you're ready!  You'll be glad you did!

Need some ideas to keep idle middle school hands busy on the last days of school?  Try one or all of these ideas!