How To Help Middle School Students Master Reading Standards

 

When you make the most of your instructional time, students can make gains! Use this tool to get the job done.




This coming school year, I expect a strong focus on reading skills because so many students seem to need reading interventions.


It's so hard to know what to focus on in any given class with so many standards with which to work. So I began thinking how I wished I could know which standards my students already were proficient with and on which standards they need more focused instruction.  


Then I thought "I'm sure a spreadsheet could do this if certain formulas were applied."  So I went to work!  


How I solved my problem of knowing what reading standards need my attention in the classroom:

1.  I wrote two texts and created a matching video for media literacy.


2.  Then I went through the first 8 reading standards and looked at the way in which students are asked to USE the standard to answer standardized test questions.  


3. Next, I wrote 30 questions using this information and my text set.  I made a printable version for students to complete on paper first, and then I created a matching Google Form for students to enter their answers after they complete it on paper.


4. Now - here's the magic part.  I made a special spreadsheet that has 2 special tabs - one that gives me a drop-down so I can see the commonly missed standards and one for all students where I can see what each student missed.  I love these tabs because I can see where to focus my instruction!  If one class doesn't have any students that missed the theme questions, then I know I will not need to spend as much time on theme.  Will I review theme?  For sure!  But I will not teach an entire unit on it.  


I believe that once I know where to focus my instruction that this will lead to greater gains for my students.  Why?  Because instead of spending time on what they already know, I can be spending more time on what they need more practice with so they can get to a place where they can master the standards.  The more time students have to interact with a topic, the more likely they are to master it;  Especially if the teacher can provide intentional, purposeful interactions.


But the first step is the diagnostic.  


Get a copy of the diagnostic below!








Pin this post for later:

Don't spend hours searching for this great idea that you just found!  Pin it to your favorite classroom Pinterest board so that you can easily come back to it when you're ready!  You'll be glad you did!

You need to know which reading standards to focus on so you can help your students make gains.  Find out how to do this!